Saturday 28 February 2015


Thanks to our guest blogger for this insight into the NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme.....

NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme interview day
I was invited to attend an interview for the NHS Graduate Scheme. I prepared by noting examples of achievements that matched the Leadership Skills – details of these were emailed with my invitation.
When I arrived I was directed to go to a room where all the other candidates were waiting. There were drinks available in the room and everyone was chatting to each other and to the Management Trainees who were there. Everyone was friendly and helpful and I didn’t get the impression that we were all competing with each other; in fact, candidates were trying to find others who were up for the same stream as them and everyone wished each other luck.
I had been told to arrive at 10.15am for a 10.45am interview. Actually, no-one was called for interviews until 11.15am. Just beforehand, we were given a briefing.
First, we heard the statistics! There were 11,600 applicants. About 4000 passed the psychometric test stage. 1000 of these made it to interview and 300 will attend the assessment centre later in the process. 100 will receive an offer of a place on the scheme.
We were advised that we would be asked questions assessing our personal qualities and how we worked with other people during the interview. If the interviewer interrupts and asks for more information, we shouldn’t be concerned as they just want to clarify what we have said. We were advised to use a range of examples from uni, work or extra-curricular activities.
Once in the interview room, I was introduced to two interviewers. They explained there would be six questions. The first three questions focused on why I wanted to join the scheme: what research I had conducted, whether I had considered other schemes and what attracted me particularly to this one. The final three were on how I worked in certain situations: I was asked about a time when I was in a team that had to overcome a difficulty; how I had made decisions to change things in my life (i.e. to go to uni) and for examples of teamwork. The interview felt quite relaxed and the interviewers were friendly and encouraging.
I wasn’t asked if I had further questions, but I was invited to return to the waiting room to talk to Trainees or other candidates before I left. After this I was free to go. Overall it was a positive experience of a graduate scheme interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Careers and Employability at Keele University